Top 10 King Cake Spin-offs Concoctions
It’s just like New Orleans to take something decadent and make it extravagant. That’s exactly what this city has done with the popular and traditional King Cake.
The original King Cake is simple cinnamon bread with icing, purple, green and gold sprinkles on top. Then somewhere along the way, fillings were added: cream cheese, Bavarian cream, blueberry, strawberry, chocolate, coconut cream (YUM!) etc. But was that enough to fulfill our deepest King Cake desires?
NO. IT WAS NOT.
May I introduce (or re-introduce if you're already familiar) to you…KING CAKE SPIN-OFFS! Here are my top 10 favorite dishes transformed into a King Cake party--scratch that--Mardi Gras Ball in your mouth.
10. King Cake Donut by District Donuts Sliders Brew
9. King Cake Vodka by Taaka and Lucky Player
8. King Cake Milk Shake by Charcoals Gourmet Burger Bar
7. King Cake Cheese Cake by Copelands of New Orleans
6. King Cake Soda by Abita
5. King Cake Monkey Bread by Emeril’s New Orleans
4. King Cake Ice Cream by Creole Creamery
3. King Cake Fries Graham Blackall with Praline Sauce by @joythebaker
2. King Cake Bread Pudding by @showmeyournola
My Simple King Cake Bread Pudding recipe will have you and your friends falling to your knees! Give this recipe a try during your next parade or Super Bowl party. I promise it’s easy and extremely delicious!
1. King Cake Burger by Food Drunk
Did you just fall out of your chair? Yeah, I’m not surprised. Food Drunk, a local food truck, created the ultimate & shocking King Cake Spin Off when they birthed “The Original King Cake Burger.” Check out their Instagram page for daily updates on their whereabouts.
Some other honorary king cake spin-off dishes are the King Cake Latte, King Cake flavored Coffee, the King Cake Shot (available at most Nola bars) and the Mardi Gras Dog from Dat Dog.
Every year, this list expands. What do you think they’ll come up with next? What got left off of this list? Comment below or on my Insta!
And if you're wondering what all of these concoctions taste like...well, it pretty much tastes like cinnamon. Que my favorite Seinfeld episode and his famous cinnamon tribute: