Nava Beet Salad
I knew this dish was a hit when my Granny wouldn't get off my case about this Beet Salad my soon-to-be fiance had made for my family 2 Christmases ago. "Tell your friend I want that recipe!" she would say.
As it turns out, Venezuelans are just as passionate about their dishes and recipes as us Cajuns are. He was a little hesitant to share this recipe with the world because his mom used to make it on the reg for his family, and that automatically makes it personal. But he soon realized he must share all delicious recipes for the greater good of the world (read: I forced him.)
Andres isn't one for measurements. He's more of a "one second pour of this" and "2 squirts of this" kind of guy. Luckily for us, this recipe was simple enough to convert his "seconds" and "squirts" to actual quantifiable measurements.
This dish is a certified holiday pleaser! Not only is it simple, but you can make it the night before to save you time. More family time is always a good thing! Plus, it's Granny-approved, and do you really need more reason than that?
This particular recipe (being holiday friendly and all) serves 10-12 people.
2 bunches of fresh beets
6 small-medium red potatoes
3 boiled eggs
½ large Vidalia onion
5-6 tablespoons of mayo
1 tablespoon of yellow mustard
1 tablespoon of white vinegar
Salt & pepper
1. Cut off roots and ends of beets. Boil beets and potatoes in large pot (make sure water covers all of the vegetables) and boil for 25 min or until soft.
2. Boil eggs for 9 minutes.
3. Drain and let vegetables and eggs cool off.
4. Peel beets and potatoes and dice into ¼ in. pieces.
5. Peel and dice eggs with egg slicer.
6. Dice onion into ¼ in. pieces.
7. Toss all veggies and eggs together in large serving bowl.
8. Add 5 tablespoons of mayo. Check consistency and add another tablespoon if it needs more.
9. Add 1 tablespoon of mustard.
10. Add 1 tablespoon of vinegar.
11. Add salt and pepper to taste.
12. Mix all together. Add additional wet ingredients to taste if needed.
13. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour and up to overnight.
Enjoy & stay tuned for more Venezuelan favorites!
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #SMYNRECIPES. I'd love to see what you cook!